Thursday, January 7, 2010

That thing you do

Year-in-review (thanks to Aunt Becky)

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a house. Got pregnant, and experienced all the wonders/terrors of the first 6 months of pregnancy. Told my parents they're going to be first-time grandparents. Told my boyfriend's parents that I'm having their first grandchild.Visited China. Played golf. 

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Didn't make any, didn't keep any, haven't made any to keep.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A baby, a new(er) car, a lack of procrastination

6. What countries did you visit?
China.

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why:
August 4: the day I found out I was pregnant.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Buying a house. Not going completely crazy, though sometimes I felt thisclose.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Remembering my failures makes me cringe. I know I have dozens. Cooking fails, keeping-in-touch-with-friends fails, newspaper fails. Only one threatened a lawsuit.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hello, Heiny flu!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My house.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mechanic's, for keeping my car on the road.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My own, in the thralls of hormonal brain fogs

14. Where did most of your money go?
Airfare and living expenses

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
China! Having a Baby! My friend's band's CD! (Listed chronologically, not in order of excitement)

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
Yeesh. I listened to a whole lot of Neil Young, Josh Ritter and David Francey. Hard to pick.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter (Pregnanter?)
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Camping, hiking, canoeing and being outside.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Stressing about money; FREAKING OUT.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent it with family, eating.

21.Name one random thing that people would be surprised to know about you.
I really don't like dogs. Or cats. Or pets in general.(Also, it's the Internet! The Internet is not surprised by anything!)

22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Yeppers.

23. How many one-night stands?
Zero.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Two and a Half Men and Jeopardy.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope.

26. What was the best book you read?
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That I'm not very talented.

28. What did you want and get?
A house.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Slumdog Millionnaire. It's possible that's the only movie I saw.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Visited Man's family and friends in the great Out West. Had sex. Drank Perrier.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Immeasurably!? Hmm, curing cancer. Eliminating AIDS and world hunger and poverty.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Does it fit? Does it have a hole it it? Is the hole really that noticeable?

34. What kept you sane?
Long walks on the beach Hugs and Baby kicks.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
 I have a total crush on the backup goalie for the local hockey team. And I don't even like hockey. Much.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Oh my. Afghan detainees, the many failures of child protection services, The inquiry into Robert Dziekanski's death and the RCMP officers' attitudes, how slowly the cogs of government do turn.

37. Whom did you miss?
My friends overseas and far away.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
My obstetrician! Is that weird?

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009:
Having a baby and moving house is a Very Big Deal. You are allowed to FREAK OUT more than occasionally.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Tonight will be fine
Will be fine
Will be fine
For a while
-Leonard Cohen, Tonight will be fine

No comments: